SPCC Plan Consulting Services Oil Production Facilities Storage
What is an SPCC Plan for Oil Production Facilities?
The EPA Clean Water Act requires that any facility that has oil product storage capacities of 1,320 gallons or more develop and implement a Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasure (SPCC) plan in accordance with 40 CFR Part 112.
As this pertains to Oil Production facilities, their Produced Oil, Produced Water, Oil, Water and Gas Separators, Heater Treaters and Water Knockout vessels in addition to any other oil products that exceed 55 gallons in capacity is applicable and must be addressed in the plan. These storage tanks, referred to as a Tank Battery, in addition to equipment failures, are very susceptible to lightning strikes which may result in a major oil spill.
If the facility could reasonably expect an oil spill to reach navigable waters, an SPCC Plan is required. The Coast Guard interpretation includes not only the traditional navigable waters but all streams, ditches, storm sewers, rivers, lakes or other bodies of water.
A properly compliant SPCC plan will cover all applicable regulations and include a detailed discussion of the following:
- A detail listing of all oil product vessels of 55 gallons or more.
- Provide secondary containment of sufficient length, breadth and height to contain 110% (for rainfall freeboard) of the total maximum capacity of the largest vessel within the facility to accommodate rainfall freeboard plus 24 hours of oil and produced water production if an auto shut down system is not installed. The secondary containment shall be constructed of earth, steel, concrete or solid masonry to be impervious to withstand a full hydrostatic head and be restricted to 6 feet above interior grade.
- Topographical Maps showing distance to any waterways, intermittent streams or bodies of water.
- Diagram of facility detailing the location of all oil product storage vessels and the primary direction of drainage from the facility
- Reference to specific applicable EPA regulations
- An Oil Spill Contingency Plan detailing all actions to be taken in the event of a major oil spill and a Written Commitment of Manpower, Equipment and Materials signed by management.
- Employee training directives and applicable records
- Inspection and reporting forms
- Unloading area of spill prevention and procedures.
Have a Question?
SPCC Plan Expert
Maurice provides the lowest possible costs while maintaining the highest quality and compliance for his services in developing Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasure (SPCC) Plans in the auto industry.
SPCC Plans Are Our Only Business
Spillco has provided several thousand SPCC plans in over 30 states for over 600 clients of various industries during the past 8 years. SPCC plans are our only business. We have contracted Professional Engineers who are knowledgeable of the SPCC requirements and are licensed in over 30 states.
Our experience of writing PE Certified SPCC Plans for Oil Production applications include small and large drilling and production companies. A major producer in the prolific area in south Texas, the Eagle Ford Field, utilized Spillco for several hundred horizontal drilled production tank batteries. We provide Certified SPCC plans for a fraction of the cost of our competitors. The reason is simple. Due to our experience, we developed systems for applications that do not require our time in researching and constructing a specific plan from the initial stage. The information from a facility is molded into our system for a site specific plan compliant with EPA, state and local applicable regulations.